Mortgages – perennial problems and current issues
Mortgages, charges and debentures are commonly encountered by transactional property practitioners as methods of securing loans against land. It is clearly important to ensure that adequate protection and priority are secured, and that the many hidden pitfalls are avoided. This course considers practical and commercial solutions in the context of this legally complex area of practice. It does not deal with litigation aspects. Topics covered include:
Suitable for commercial and residential property practitioners
- Background – commercial and legal
- Registration of charges over land and priorities
- Undertakings to discharge mortgages
- Rights of the parties
- Corporate security
3 hours CPD
Course leader: Peter Reekie
To book and to obtain a brochure of all Peter's courses and his fees: www.peterreekie.co.uk or contact him direct on:
Tel: 0207 7487 4662
Mortgage repossession masterclass
This course is for those who already have experience of repossession claims. It deals with some of the tricky issues that can arise.
Course leader: Gary Webber
- How extensive is the court's discretion when the borrower wants time to sell the house? Do contracts need to be exchanged? To what extent can lenders rely on the Steele case?
- "Virgin One" type accounts - are these just great big overdrafts to which Habib Bank v Tailor applies? Or does s8 apply so that the court does have a discretion to adjourn / suspend etc. and if so on what terms?
- When will a tenancy bind a lender? Does the lender need to be afraid of tenancies? Where the tenancy is binding should the lender go for possession or appoint a receiver?
- Suspending the warrant after execution - is this ever possible? What exactly is oppression?
Level: Intermediate and advanced
CPD: 3 hours
Back to top