Housing disrepair claims
This course deals with claims by tenants against their landlords for disrepair. Using a case study the following points will be covered:
The course is suitable for all those involved in housing disrepair, whether as lawyers or housing officers etc.
- Landlord's repairing obligations - s11 of the 1985 Act.
- The demise, parts controlled by the landlord, parts under control of third parties.
- Condensation and damp
- Notice - is it required? How much notice? How much detail?
- Defective Premises Act
- Access to the property to carry out the works - moving the tenant out.
- Specific performance interim injunctions - getting the landlord to do it.
- Damages - how much does the tenant get? What principles apply?
- Reduction for contributory negligence.
- Disrepair protocol.
- Settlement prior to allocation - affect on costs.
Trainer: Gary Webber
CPD: 2 hours
Back to top